Thursday, January 19, 2012

Anticipation-Again

Have you ever had a book that you were just itching to get into? I started reading "Nearing Home" by Billy Graham....boy, I hope it is not his last book....only one chapter in, it is filled with such wisdom, that one just has to stop and savor it. You really need to take the time to just turn the words over and over in your head...so simple, but so profound.

Savoring...there is something else can't wait to get into. I picked up a tote bag full of student journals today. They may not be filled with the same spiritual wisdom that Billy Graham shares from the depth of his life...but I just know that so many of them are filled with great insights from the trip to Scotland and Ireland. Roger is lighting up the fireplace, I will brew some tea, prop my feet up and we will enjoy re-living the trip through the eyes of some remarkable kids.

In just flipping through some of the journals, I am already pleased with the amount of writing that took place. I am also thrilled that so many of the students embraced the 'doodles' that I introduced...and a few of them let that take them on into drawing. I love it when students accept challenges! I hope that if this was their first 'travel journaling' experience, that it will not be their last.

Beyond struggling to overcome this crazy sore throat that I picked up on the trip home, I have been busily sorting photos. I think at last check, I had downloaded about 33 Gigs of photos and videos and only have  a few groups of iphone photos and ipad photos to collect. And the sorting is complete....through the end of day 2.

Since so many have asked about seeing more photos, I will continue this blog a little longer, recalling memories that I did not post earlier, and posting photos from the collection of 23 individuals. These will be some of the highlights I glean while sorting...and some of the kids are quite good photographers too! There may just be some careers ahead!

If you are just checking in and don't know what this blog is all about...go back to January 4 and follow our trip. If you want out...it is a good time to unsubscribe.....but if you are a student or parent from the Scotland group...you might want to stick around for a little while longer.

Something else made me really happy today.....many many students keep asking me about our next destination! (And no, it is not time for the reveal just yet!)  Travel....it is SO great for students! It expands their world. It helps them to see history past and present and allows them to know that they can be...well, they are a part of history...future. Reading and savoring what you read is incredible, but nothing is as fulfilling as actually walking in the places where history took place and coming to see that God has a plan for each life and each life is a part of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment